Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Hate Facebook

Okay, I don’t really hate it, but it can be truly annoying. I think what pushed me over the top was being “friended” by a co-worker, whose first and immediate message to me was a criticism of my politics.

Really?

But the overriding factor here is the inane nature of this thing 90% of the time. If it was being used for true communication I have no problem with it, but I’ll never want to tell people I had enchiladas for dinner and it didn’t sit well with me. Nor do I want to be so informed of anyone else’s similar travails.

Perhaps part of the issue is that unlike My Space, which was mainly inhabited by the very young, this social media encompasses everyone – all ages – and what seems so ridiculous to someone my age may be ultra-important to someone much younger. So, I admit to old-fogeyness.

I also admit that Facebook can be a great tool to communicate larger issues, promote events and stay in touch with people you may not see regularly.

I’m just too busy (or, in truth, I just don’t want to be bothered) for the trivia. It feels a lot like having to answer the door at 9 am on a Sunday morning in my bathroom to a neighbor I barely know asking to borrow a cup of clothes washing soap.

Really?

No comments: