Tuesday, November 23, 2010

As Thanksgiving Approaches

I’ve written editorials that espoused all the platitudes about gratitude and meant every word of them. But now it’s time to get a little down and dirty. Tell it like it is. Kick the euphemisms to the curb. Oh, yeah, baby!

Excuse me while I fan myself. I got a little overwrought there. But really, isn’t it time to be for real about gratitude. You want to know what I’m most grateful about this season? I give thanks everyday that we’re a nation at peace. Oh, wait! No, that’s not right. Well, at least we have universal health care. What? What’s that you say? Not exactly.

Let’s start over. I’m thrilled that I don’t have to be the one to hose off the guy who lives in the ratty RV next door when he accumulates too much filth. I’m even more thrilled that alcohol didn’t get me the way it got him.

I’m thankful to be the one trying to get donations for the food bank, instead of being one of those that need the food.

I’m happy that when I whine about how tough life is, I still have the ability to get outside of myself (after several minutes of intense whining) and see that I’m really a very lucky gal.

Every time I’m lonely, I can reach for the phone and call someone. Isn’t that something?

I’ve been given the gift of understanding how wonderful the internet is and it makes my life easier in so many ways that I’m eternally grateful and excited to see what’s next.

I get a paycheck twice a month. I have a roof over my head. I have a vehicle that gets me where I want to go. I have enough clothes to last two weeks comfortably without doing the wash! I have family who love me and I love back. I have…I have…I have.

Thank you, Universe, for everything I have. And thanks even more for letting me see that there are others who don’t have…don’t have…don’t have.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

No comments: