Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Play - How We Recover Ourselves

I have discovered that I have to have a playmate in life – or in actuality, several. I have a co-worker that knows how to put joy into the day and occasionally act like a twelve-year-old, thank goodness. I have family members, especially my daughter, Vanessa, who can also enjoy silliness. I truly don’t know how I’d survive without them.
I believe that play is essential to everyone, and those that are better at it are more balanced and mentally healthier. Needless to say, they are also happier people.

So, I had an opportunity to watch adults at play this weekend at our company picnic. It was so much fun to see people who I normally think of as very staid loosing up a bit and even acting like kids at time. One of the best surprises was the gentlemen, whose wife kind of poo-poo’d yo-yos for adults, who turned out to a yo-yo aficiando and the winner of the yo-yo competition. It was great to watch the grownups compete against the kids for the competitor with the most originality and style. Oh, the gyrations!

The next work day all of us were a bit lighter. We had bonded and – most importantly – played together. Letting down our guards for a few hours had made it easier to trust each other in our work environment as well.

So, here’s the lesson learned. Play = fun = laughter = REFRESHED AND REVIVED

No comments: