Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fashion Sense

I have had reason lately to reassess the “rules” of fashion and believe I have managed to come up with a few of my own that should, by rights, trump those of accepted style. You’ll see what I mean.

Rule #1 – Wear White Anytime

If you have the good fortune to have a piece of white clothing that has managed to survive everyday life without obtaining a cluster of stains, by all means, celebrate that fact and wear it – whenever – and post-Labor Day rules be damned.

Rule #2 – Shoes Are Exempt

When it comes to shoes you love, whether you can wear them or not, ignore the advice, “If you haven’t worn it in a year, toss it.” No! If you haven’t worn them in a year, chances are they hurt your feet. So, instead, save them for those moments when all you must do is alight from a vehicle, walk twenty yards or so and sit yourself down. Those painful shoes won’t have a chance to kill your feet, and you’ll look good.

P.S. Try to find a chair or barstool where your legs, probably greatly enhanced by these killer shoes, will drape nicely in view of the rest of the establishment.

Rule #3 – Happiness Is Queen

If the garment makes you happy wear it! And for goodness sake, don’t apologize for doing so! Life is too short and joy too rare to give up something you love because you spot a disapproving glance from another. Frankly, she’s probably wishing she could pull something like that off with confidence. So, you go girl!

Rule #4 – Let Our Toes Be Freed

About this time of year, I find I miss my toes. In the dead of winter I have treated myself to two different pedicures, because I wanted to see those delightful appendages decorated. Then comes the question, “Do I wear sandals in 36 degree weather?” Of course, you do! What is the point if you don’t show off those $30 toes? Go for it. What’s the worst that can happen? You have cold toes? So?

That’s about it for now. I’ve dealt the fashion world a large enough blow for the moment, assuming every one of my readers chooses to follow my errant advice. I hope you do – as long as it makes you happy!

No comments: