Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Doing The Right Thing

I’m always amazed that people who have the stated intention of living their lives well or preach morals relentlessly are so easily swayed towards dicey behavior when there’s money or position involved. Of course, position usually equates to money somewhere along the line.

Recently I’ve been exposed to situations that require my stepping up to the plate and declaring that I won’t do something I know to be wrong. It bugs the crap out of me that I even have to go there. These folks know they are doing something wrong, but they force me into being the “hall monitor”, no pun intended.

I’m not claiming to be perfectly ethical, but I really try to be vigilant and live up to the expectations of others and myself. I believe in returning the check or change or benefit to which I’m not entitled. When I’m put in the position of representing someone else, I take that responsibility seriously. If I’m relied upon to make a decision in the best interest of a client, friend or family member I make that decision, in spite of how it might affect me. Because it’s the right thing to do.

I think most people do the same things. That’s why I’m always a little blown away when someone I know chooses not to. It changes my opinion of them and I lose the ability to trust.

How can we expect our children, politicians, neighbors, co-workers and friends to have any respect for us if we waiver - especially for a buck or two or even two million. Wrong is wrong regardless of the profit at stake.

Right?

No comments: