Sunday, January 31, 2010

Being My Authentic Self

Okay, so picture this – I’m sitting at my little writing station inside Wanda, my 23-foot RV - home. In the background my boy Michael – Buble, that is – is singing “Cry Me A River”, one of the many songs on his Crazy Love CD that brings out the feisty side of me. Additionally, the heroine of my latest literary endeavor – Lydia, or Red as her friends and lovers refer to her – also loves Michael and always comes out to play when I put this CD on. Can you wear a groove in a CD? Anyway, tonight I’m about to dive into my novel again and cavort with Lydia, but before I do I have a big announcement to make. Dump Ta Dum Dumb - I’ve decided to be my true self.

So, this week I came to a pretty big decision about how I would live my life. The essence of it is to be true to myself. Interestingly enough, that was what my high school graduation card from my parents said to do in life. I’m just now getting there.

I’ve been struggling with this for a couple of years now. I know who I am, but I often fail to let others see it. Even in this blog, I’ve intentionally avoided subjects that I knew would reveal the true me. I was exuberantly happy with the election of Barack Obama, but you’d never know it by reading my blog. I think is abominable that this rich and vibrant country can’t see its way clear to providing health care to its entire population. I could go on and on, but you get the idea – I’m a liberal – a big one!

What is writing a blog about if not to state your position, unless of course, you’re blogging about recipes or fashion? But even then, I’ll bet the writer lets the reader know which she prefers – strawberries or raspberries, Gucci or Prada.

So, I’ve spouted off about life – its ups and downs, its lessons, etc. but all behind a safe façade. What was that all about? Well, truth be told, I’ve rarely in my life shown people who I am. Perhaps more disappointingly, I’ve rarely stood up for what I believe. That’s all changed this past week. I drew a line in the sand – and I’m thrilled.

So, in making a pact with myself this weekend, I’ve decided to write about things that really matter – to me – and to get involved!

Come Monday, I’ll begin the search for a political group to join and an arts association where I can contribute my time.

Come Monday, I will object when something I am faced with is contrary to my beliefs.

Come Monday, I will begin to live as my authentic self. Fifty-eight years coming, but that’s alright. I’m here now.


No comments: