Saturday, September 12, 2009

Getting My Priorities Right

Today, I’m sitting outside Wanda, writing at the little table I’ve set up for that express purpose, but seldom used. Why? Because up until now, I have not had a battery in my laptop and writing on the “veranda” required an arduous unplugging, stringing wires and plugging back in of my essential writing tool.

That’s right. I have muddled along without the one ingredient that makes laptops so great, the ability to use them anywhere. For a year and a half, I have only written where I could plug in Toby (my Toshiba laptop).

Finally, last week, I ordered the battery on Amazon.com. It was $56 including shipping. How many times have I told myself I couldn’t afford it and then gone on to buy $60 shoes or some equally non-writing related article of clothing?

This weekend I plan on heading over to the park outside the library, where I can also pick up their free Wi-Fi, then sitting on my fabulous sling-back chair with the footrest and writing until my fingers fall off or freeze into place.

I cannot believe I put this off for so long and denied myself the ability to be a mobile writer. Perhaps the reason is that the novel I had been working on was so difficult for me that I was just perpetuating ways to avoid writing, whereas now I’m joyfully engaged in writing that seems to appear on my computer screen almost telekinetically. I want as many ways to writing as possible now.

I don’t know for sure. But I do know that I’m way into setting my priorities all of a sudden. Last weekend, I spent organizing Wanda, substituting skinny velvet covered hangers for my old ones (thereby increasing the capacity of my two tiny closets) and tossing out clothes I no longer need. I don’t need to keep a bazillion clothes anymore, because I’ve come up with a new plan for work wear.

I’ve converted my Mon-Thursday work clothes to white blouses with black slacks. If you’re shocked and fairly certain I’ve gone insane, join the crowd. I realized the other day that I’m a little confused by clothes and truly don’t care about them for the most part. What I really love is jewelry, artisan types primarily, but rarely wear because the clothes I’ve chosen don’t “go” with them. Now my clothing will be a backdrop for the jewelry I own and I’ll feel more free to express myself by buying wearable art.

What is it important to own or have? I’m finding the answer to be – “Not much.” There is such freedom in that realization.

No comments: