Sunday, August 3, 2008

On Retaining Our Childlike Wonder


This has been a recurring theme for me, but I think it's partly because I feel it is so important to hold on to so many of the qualities children naturally have and we grow ourselves out of.

The other night the trailer park I live in had a power outage. Actually, it was pretty widespread, but since I don't have a television anymore I didn't know that until the next day.

Several of my neighbors came out into the circular driveway that other neighborhoods would laughingly call a street, milling around and vocally worrying about how long the lights would be out.

I was right in the midst of it, thinking about how long my food would last in the refrigerator and what the morning would be like getting ready for work if the power didn't come on by then. After a few minutes, we all drifted back to our own units, my section is almost exclusively travel trailers and RVs. I almost went into Wanda to read by the lights powered by my alternate battery, but as I was climbing in I spied one of my votive candles.

Instead of retreating into the snugness of my bed, I opted for sitting outside with the candle for company. What a great experience it was! Because of the power being out, there were no televisions blaring or even the sound of air conditioners, which are exceptionally loud in trailers, in case you didn't know. What I heard as I sat there was the chirp of crickets - just like in a campground.

I threw my feet up on the "visitor's" chair and relaxed into my own collapsible sling chair with arms and a spot for my drink, sipped on a Kaluha and cream, and listened to the night. I faced myself toward the retaining wall behind Wanda, which keeps us from falling into the tiny creek that runs behind her. Along with the sound show, I could enjoy the rustle of the leaves coming from the big old trees that hang over both Wanda and the creek.

Because it was so quiet, I also heard the squirrels scrambling across the branches and rustling the leaves themselves a bit.

Just about the time I was really getting into it, the power came back on and I couldn't help the disappointed "oh" that escaped my lips. I could have sat there another hour before finally heading to bed, and relished every minute of it.

This is the type of enjoyment of simple things that I can clearly remember having as a kid. I remember traveling across country in back of my folk's station wagon, which had a slanted back window that I could press my head against, propped up on a pillow, and watch the stars go by. That was pure bliss.

These moments are given to us everyday, but the adult world enters with its worries and cares and yanks them away if we're not careful. I almost lost my half-hour of joy, worrying about silly things that were non-issues just moments later. Developing and maintaining our child-like wonder should be a high priority for us as adults. I swear it will keep us sane.

Here's to wishing you a short power outage in your life soon.

PS - the photo is of another of my tiny pleasures, a tiny garden!

No comments: