Saturday, July 5, 2008

Downsizing all over my life


Now that I've downsized my living accommodations, it seems so natural to keep up the trend. I find I packed way too much stuff for my new lifestyle; too many dishes, too much "I might need this someday" stuff and amazingly too many clothes.

Yesterday I did myself a little favor. I saw this brightly colored basket and thought "Wouldn't that make a nice purse?" Then I proceeded to nearly talk myself out of it, because (as you can see in the background) the big, black purse I had been carrying held everything I would ever need. This little confection of a container clearly wouldn't. But my desire for more simplicity won out.

This morning I began transferring the absolute necessities and surprisingly, the little purse held nearly everything, except the old Dooney & Burke wallet I've carried for four years. Again, black leather and over-sized, the monstrosity had to go. So, today I picked up a $5 little red, zippered wallet, which is more like a pouch with a window than an actual wallet and again felt a bit more freedom.

Every part of my life seems overburdened somehow, and as I go through each week, I find myself throwing off the parts I don't need. I must be careful, though, to understand that many of those I speak to, are now in the midst of raising their families, feathering their nests, etc., so that not only does my joy at these small releases seem foreign to them, but in a way, it is a betrayal to the life they are in the middle of living.

When they look at me with a bit of wonder and a tiny bit of jealousy in their eyes, I am tempted to tell them not to worry that someday they will be here, too. But then I quickly remember you can't tell people things like that. They don't listen. I never did.

Those that look at me with tilted heads and glassed-over eyes don't understand, aren't jealous of my sense of freedom and will certainly never want to be released. And that is what makes this wonderful world go round...our differences. Hail to the Universe!

No comments: