Saturday, November 28, 2009

There Is No Perfect Version

So, let me take the damn picture.

I have been irritated and amused since I began taking photos to accompany my newspaper articles at the ridiculous reactions of so many women and perhaps, the occasional man, who resist having their pictures taken. The women who downright refuse and then the ones who delay the photo shoot and keep one to twenty other people waiting while they touch up their hair and makeup.

What is that all about?

Well, I think I’ve made a breakthrough in why they are so reluctant to have their image recorded for history. It centers around a lousy self-image and the belief that they are not in the perfect state, so therefore cannot be captured on celluloid – excuse me, I lapsed into another time – I mean digitized.

The ladies are always waiting to lose a few pounds or for the effects of the miracle facial treatments to take effect. God forbid that the face they carry around day after day be frozen and put into picture albums or posted online.

Do they forget WE can SEE them? Should we cover our eyes? Look away in disgust at the creature that exists before us? Lamely agree to take pictures of everyone else at a family gathering except them? I don’t think so.

Someone needs to say – get over it! This is you, the woman who exists now. We are not horrified by your appearance.

You have to wonder about the honeymoons or family vacations that have occurred with this personality type. Did they come home from Cancun with only pictures of their husbands or boyfriends? When they cruised with three best friends, was this woman excluded from the pictures? Seriously?

So, to all you readers who have done this, I beg you to reconsider your behavior. Frankly, it is silly, selfish and indicates an ugly self-image you shouldn’t want anyone to buy into with you.

Smile. You’re on Candid Camera. Now, get over it.

No comments: