Monday, June 23, 2008

Morning pages unlock the subconscious

A book by Julie Cameron, entitled "The Artist's Way" has inspired me since 2005, but recently re-reading it has jump-started my serious writing.

The reason for this renewed spirit has been the revival of my "morning pages. Cameron's book contains vast wisdom about the nature of artists, which in her world includes writers, a feeling I subscribe to but isn't shared by everyone. It is an uncomplicated book with an uncomplicated way to find your muse. There are only two steps.

One is to commit to doing three pages of journal writing every morning just as you rise and are waking up. Sounds painful and boring doesn't it? Well, for the first few days it is a bit boring and then you let go of your inhibitions without even realizing it and low and behold ideas come to you, seemingly from nowhere. Putting words to empty pages is no longer an agonizing act. I'm not sure how it feels to painters and actors and such, but I suspect it's similar.

Floodgates just open. It's tricky for writers, but we especially want all our writings to be profound and meaningful. Well, after a few mornings of writing your pages, that idea becomes laughable. In fact, Cameron says that the biggest challenge for writers is not "writing" the pages - just letting them flow.

It worked so well for me before that I got 309 pages into a novel. I need to return to that novel as well as tackle my postings for SacramentoandBeyond.com, and I'm not sure why it took me so long to get back to first base. But I'm there and I recommend the process for anyone honestly searching for their inner artist.

The second step is something I embrace with equal enthusiasm, but is definitely not as effective at chipping away at my procrastination. Still, I am trying to follow her lead, and have planned my first Artist's Date in a very long time for next weekend.

Now the artist's date is a time set aside for you and your inner artist to just experience. She suggests trips to the toy store, pet store or park. Museums, art galleries, libraries, any place where you can be alone and explore. No others are allowed - just you and yourself. I remember my first artists date was a trip to Michael's the arts and crafts store. I really enjoyed wandering among all the aisles of do-it-yourself treasures. It was fun. I lost track of time and I came away with a sense of creation being just around the corner.

So, if you want to expand your creative side, try the morning pages and artist's date and even better, buy Cameron's book. It will be an investment in yourself that can't be beat.

No comments: